• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Hoody

Hoody

Life Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts
  • Interests:My interests are my family, backpacking/camping/hiking, hunting, hockey, baseball/softball, and working on our farm. I have been an architectural designer (residential design) for 20 years, and am now a quality-control inspector after a lay-off. I am a Youth group co-leader, church trustee, and Sunday school teacher. I am also looking to start some sort of outdoor ministry through my church, although we have a VERY small congregation.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

I know this has been talked about in previous posts here, as I re-read them yesterday. But I would like to know what you guys consider to be the best all around gun for the money. I would prefer 9mm, but would consider .45 ACP. If ammo continues to be hard to get or gets worse, I believe 9 mm will be one of the easier to get.

I have looked at Ruger SR-9 and Smith & Wesson M&P. I am also looking at the new Taurus 1911's. I know they are not the same animal, but the Taurus is still in the upper end of my budget, where most 1911's are not. I would love to have a XD-M, but it is not likely.

Let's hear the ideas. I know we have a lot of guys that know their firearms here.

Steve
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (NIV)

#2 Huntaholic

Huntaholic

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts
  • Interests:God, My family, My friends, Big Game Hunting, Waterfowl Hunting, Small Game Hunting,Fresh and Saltwater Fishing, Trapping, Predator Calling, Long range Rifle shooting, Small Bore indoor shooting, Trap and Sporting Clay shooting, Archery, Muzzel loading, and Photography.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

Steve, What do you mean when you say all around hand gun? Self-defense? Hunting? Plinking? From what you posted as of interest it seems you are looking at Self-defense pistols. If so then I think either 45ACP or 9mm are good guns, but a 22 rimfire for the most part will be alot cheaper to purchase, shoot and overall more accurate and still serve as a self defense weapon should the need arise in my opinion. I am sure I do not want to be shot by any of them! I personally carry a 38 Special and hope to never need it for self defense, but do enjoy ocassionally popping off a few cylinders at a target range. :twocents:
Huntaholic
Mark 9:23 All things are possible to those who have faith in the Lord Jesus Chirst

"God's justice stands forever against the sinner in utter severity. The vague and tenuous hope that God is too kind to punish the ungodly has become a deadly opiate for the consciences of millions. It hushes their fears and allows them to practice all pleasant forms of iniquity while death draws every day nearer and the command to repent goes unregarded." ~A. W. Tozer

#3 silver

silver

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

Seriouslly, the Ruger 22/45. If you do not own a .22 pistol, that is the place to start.It makes trigger time SO MUCH more affordable. I am just starting to find some 9mm ball at around 16.00 a 50. Found ONE box of .45acp ball for 40 bucks the other day.

I'd suggest that you only take pistols that have some sort of .22 conversion kit available serious for purchase. If you want a nice CCW 9mm I'd recommend a Browning Hi-power or a Sig 239 after that it get bulky. If you can find a nice 9mm 1911 those are fun and will have the best trigger of any 9mm, after you get tem slicked up. I could make due with a CZ-75 as it will run Cocked Locked. The CZ has the best out of the box trigger of any 9mm.
The Jabez Prayer

And Jabez Called on the Lord God of Israel, saying" Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested.

1Chronicles 4:10

#4 Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Interests:Bass player, vocalist, Part time worship leader and sometimes guitar player. Bowhunter and fly fisherman

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

Being a retired law enforcement officer, my opinion for the civilian world has always been based upon what you intend to use it for and what do you shoot well. If we're talking self defense against human varmints, it is hard to beat a .38 special revolver. The recoil is not overpowering, the revolver is a more reliable mechanism, and over penetration is not an issue. If we are talking self defense against four legged varmints I tend to prefer large framed magnum revolvers such as a Ruger Redhawk or a Smith N frame. I carry a Redhawk .44 mag with me. It isn't a beast to shoot, will take out most of the dangerous north american animals. If I know I'm in an area the girzzlys frequent I ditch the handgun all together and pick up my Marlin 1895 lever action in .45-70. Remember, ballistically a .44 mag compares to a 30-30 carbine. Not many bear hunters packing one of those around. I also have my old duty pistol, a Glock in .357 Sig that is my friend. It is a pretty snappy round, has a rail light, and you do not want me pointing it at you :twocents:

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. 1 Cor 10:13

#5 Hoody

Hoody

Life Member

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • Interests:My interests are my family, backpacking/camping/hiking, hunting, hockey, baseball/softball, and working on our farm. I have been an architectural designer (residential design) for 20 years, and am now a quality-control inspector after a lay-off. I am a Youth group co-leader, church trustee, and Sunday school teacher. I am also looking to start some sort of outdoor ministry through my church, although we have a VERY small congregation.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

Steve, What do you mean when you say all around hand gun? Self-defense? Hunting? Plinking? From what you posted as of interest it seems you are looking at Self-defense pistols. If so then I think either 45ACP or 9mm are good guns, but a 22 rimfire for the most part will be alot cheaper to purchase, shoot and overall more accurate and still serve as a self defense weapon should the need arise in my opinion. I am sure I do not want to be shot by any of them! I personally carry a 38 Special and hope to never need it for self defense, but do enjoy ocassionally popping off a few cylinders at a target range. :twocents:

Yes. I wold say most likely, self defense. But it will go out to the field and plink a lot because we do shoot a lot. It is a monthly event, at least, for my family and our best friends. All of us like to shoot. I go through .22 rounds like candy because the kids love to shoot them. But I would say self defense would be the primary function. I have a Hi-Point C9 that I bought about 2 years ago and I like it. It is just big and heavy for anybody other than me to shoot. I may sell it to upgrade, or just keep it as a secondary piece. You can never have too many guns, right? :P

I do like Silver's idea of buying a 9 mm or .45 that can have a .22 conversion kit put on for training, etc. But I believe that would severely limit my options as far as what would be available. Correct?

Steve
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

#6 silver

silver

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

Yes. I wold say most likely, self defense. But it will go out to the field and plink a lot because we do shoot a lot. It is a monthly event, at least, for my family and our best friends. All of us like to shoot. I go through .22 rounds like candy because the kids love to shoot them. But I would say self defense would be the primary function. I have a Hi-Point C9 that I bought about 2 years ago and I like it. It is just big and heavy for anybody other than me to shoot. I may sell it to upgrade, or just keep it as a secondary piece. You can never have too many guns, right? :twocents:

I do like Silver's idea of buying a 9 mm or .45 that can have a .22 conversion kit put on for training, etc. But I believe that would severely limit my options as far as what would be available. Correct?
Steve

Why do you say that? It cuts out a lot trash and gives you only some of the most popular options.

Now back to reality... 550 rounds of .22 ~ 25 dollars compared to ~175 dollars for 9mm. So in 1000 rounds you have just bought yourself a "free" .22. 1000 rounds just barely gets you out of a "shake down cruise" for your 9mm.

T-man,

What are you smoking??? I've seen revolvers go down after just having 250 rounds of match ammo through them on the range. Just because the revolver has DIFFERANT failure modes does not make it more reliable. Revolvers get out of time. The base pin comes loose or the ejector rode comes loose. Stuff gets sprung in them. The hand spring gets loose. The latch gets loose. They get dirt in the wrong place. The problem is that you can't just Tap, Rack and Bang them. When they have a problem, you need a gunsmith.
The Jabez Prayer

And Jabez Called on the Lord God of Israel, saying" Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested.

#7 Bucky83

Bucky83

8 Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Deer, Sporting Clays, Grouse, Squirrel... you get the idea! Fishing and spending time with my family in the outdoors.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hoody,

There is some good information here. In my opinion the .38 special or 9mm are the minimum for PD usage. A DA revolver IS less complicated and "less likely to be used incorrectly" in a heat-of-the-moment situation, by virtue of its design (ie: point and pull the trigger). With that said, I personally have autos, mostly Sigs, in .40 and .45ACP on which I would stake my life. ABSOLUTELY Nothing less that a .357 and preferably not less than a .44 Rem Mag for critter self defense.

Sig has begun offering some of its more popular models in .22 first and offering the "full", or real, caliber for which the weapon was intended as a barrel add-on. This is a good way to buy a pistol, learn its proper operation and ready one's self for the real thing.

If you have any questions shoot me a P.M.
I'm the gun totin' meat eatin' BIBLE readin' conservative your Mother always warned you about.

#8 Bucky83

Bucky83

8 Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Deer, Sporting Clays, Grouse, Squirrel... you get the idea! Fishing and spending time with my family in the outdoors.

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

One other thought for you on the choice of caliber: Because of the 9mm popularity, there is a higher probability of its ammo being harder to find than the .40S&W or .357 sig. 45ACP... that's another story (it is like hen's teeth up here).
I'm the gun totin' meat eatin' BIBLE readin' conservative your Mother always warned you about.

#9 Hoosier Guy

Hoosier Guy

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

That is a broad range of applications there. I would tend to side with the .22 as an all around fun gun. But when you throw personal protection into the mix I am thinking .357. you can shoot the .38's for target or plinking and there are many verities of loads to choose from.

Then again, this is one of those topics you can ask two guys and get three opinions!
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who knows the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Teddy Roosevelt

#10 Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Interests:Bass player, vocalist, Part time worship leader and sometimes guitar player. Bowhunter and fly fisherman

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:44 AM

T-man,

What are you smoking??? I've seen revolvers go down after just having 250 rounds of match ammo through them on the range. Just because the revolver has DIFFERANT failure modes does not make it more reliable. Revolvers get out of time. The base pin comes loose or the ejector rode comes loose. Stuff gets sprung in them. The hand spring gets loose. The latch gets loose. They get dirt in the wrong place. The problem is that you can't just Tap, Rack and Bang them. When they have a problem, you need a gunsmith.

Anything mechanical is prone to failure at some point, and manufacturing processes are victims of their own quality control.. Any firearm that fails after 250 rounds is the result of poor manufacturing or extreme abuse, not the fact that its a revolver or a semi-auto. There is always an exception to most any rule; I stand by my statement. I have spent more years than the average joe on pistol ranges and have fired thousands of rounds through both pistols and revolvers. Ultra hot ammo can kill any firearm in a short period of time. Revolvers can be shot out of time, things wear out. ANY firearm with a problem should be examined by a qualified gunsmith.

I have carried a 1911, a Sig 229 and a Glock 22 as duty weapons. All are fine firearms. WIth the proper amount of training and range time a semi-auto is certainly a viable self defense option. However, when the crap hits the fan and the adrenaline is pumping at 300 psi, a double action revolver is the simplist weapon for a person who does not live on a firing range to use to defend themselves with, period.

A double action revolver trigger pull is such that it is far less prone to an accidental discharge than a single action semi-auto, and most double action semi-autos. No need to remember to de-activate a single action safety with a revolver. Revolvers can typically be had for less $ than semi-autos. We have to be careful about what advice we give concerning firearms. Typically, those who ask this question are not gun nuts who live on the range. Those folks have already formed their own opinions based on their own experience. For those who don't live in that world, who want something to conceal or stick in their purse for personal protection, to feel secure. a snub nose .38 with +P ammo is the perfect combination of concealability and killing power, in my opinion.

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. 1 Cor 10:13

#11 Hoosier Guy

Hoosier Guy

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

However, when the crap hits the fan and the adrenaline is pumping at 300 psi, a double action revolver is the simplist weapon for a person who does not live on a firing range to use to defend themselves with, period.

I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY!

Revolvers can typically be had for less $ than semi-autos.

Now this statement I have a little disagreement with but maybe I shop at the wrong places.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who knows the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Teddy Roosevelt

#12 Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

We used to be able to pick up a used snubby for around $250, my new one was $325, but it has been a while now that I think about it. So many of the new guns, 1911's in particular, have so many custom features that you're in the $1000 range with a lot of them. Glocks are in the mid to upper $500's last I checked. Taurus makes some nice revovlers I hear. The exotic metals some of the frames are made of do drive the prices up though. Gunbroker.com has a Taurus new for $360, a new Rossi for $345, and a used Smith for $279.

Hey, it's only money :)

#13 Hoody

Hoody

Life Member

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

I am going to check into used revolvers because I have always wanted one, but new one's are out of my range right now. My Dad was a LEO for 15 years and still tells me to buy a Smith .38 or .357, and that I will not be disappointed. I learned to shoot with a Model 19 .357 w/ 6" barrel. It was Dad's carry weapon at the time.

I am intrigued by the Sig P220R. I have been reading about them and like the idea of getting one in .22 now (which my FFL has one), and buying the .45 conversion later. What are your thoughts on it?

Silver, I did look into a CZ-75. Very nice gun, and not out of my range as long as I keep it basic. Will continue to look.

Steve

#14 Hoosier Guy

Hoosier Guy

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hey, it's only money

I am so glad the Lord has bless your finanaces abundently Brother LOl :)

I guess since I don't trust myself enough to buy used I stick with what I know. Since we can all agree that Ruger makes a very fine handgun I was just comparing prices in the general price range I shop. A SR9 is gonna run ~550 where a GP100 will run around 600. I think either would make a good all around handgun. But if you can't spend time with the semi regularly practicing. I'd go with the double action.

#15 Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

Sig makes excellent firearms, I have shot several, owned one, and have always been impressed. I have handled the new .22 version and liked it a lot. I don't have any knowledge of the conversion other than what I have read on line.

As for the money, Hoosier, I was hoping to borrow some from you! :)

#16 Bucky83

Bucky83

8 Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

I am going to check into used revolvers because I have always wanted one, but new one's are out of my range right now. My Dad was a LEO for 15 years and still tells me to buy a Smith .38 or .357, and that I will not be disappointed. I learned to shoot with a Model 19 .357 w/ 6" barrel. It was Dad's carry weapon at the time.

I am intrigued by the Sig P220R. I have been reading about them and like the idea of getting one in .22 now (which my FFL has one), and buying the .45 conversion later. What are your thoughts on it?

Silver, I did look into a CZ-75. Very nice gun, and not out of my range as long as I keep it basic. Will continue to look.

Steve

Steve

I have a 220 and can attest that it is a great firearm. I do not have the .22 conversion for mine but I know several guys who do and they have nothing but good reports on it. I bought mine before they were offering the .22 with the .45 conversion or I might have bought it. You might want to try www.summitgunbroker.com for a possible used purchase. If you have a local FFL that charges $25 or so you can come out pretty well with his prices. He is quite a character.

On another side note... your thinking of a model 19 is correct, they are a fantastic weapon for feel and reliability. I might recommend considering a 4" barrel if you intend ccw carry.

#17 silver

silver

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

T-man

The revovler was 4" 686 that was Secret Service issue (they were supplying the guns for that event). It was shooting 148 Winchester wad cutters. It had been cleaned the day before and checked over by a Secert Service gunsmith who was on site at the match. We had a couple others go down for the same reason that event.

To say that the double action revovler trigger is the easist under stress assumes a lot. My friends wife would argue that as would several other women I know. Many women can not work that trigger.
The Jabez Prayer

#18 Hoosier Guy

Hoosier Guy

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:53 AM

As for the money, Hoosier, I was hoping to borrow some from you!

Come on by you can have the whole $3.65 I've got right now! :)

#19 Tony L.

Tony L.

Spike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Target shooting/Plinking, Clay/Skeet shooting, Camping, Hiking, Football

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

I have to agree with Titaniumman. Also as a LEO, I would suggest to anyone a 38/357 revolver for concealed carry/self defense unless, as has been suggested, you spend a considerable amount of time with a semi auto on and off the range. If you are a range dweller then my opinion is a GLOCK 23 or 27. Home defense is a good ole 12 gauge. But as it has been pointed out also, everybody has a favorite for a reason and they are probably all valid reasons. If we could all just have one of everything...lol.

Tony
There is nothing better for the inside of a man as the outside of a horse. Ronald Reagan, President.

#20 silver

silver

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

As for the money, Hoosier, I was hoping to borrow some from you!

Come on by you can have the whole $3.65 I've got right now! :o

Batteries not included??
The Jabez Prayer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Christian Outdoorsman