IPBoard Styles©Fisana

Cast Iron Dutch Ovens

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ChristianAdventurer_*

Guest_ChristianAdventurer_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:10 PM

Years ago while surfing the net I stumbled on to people using dutch ovens while camping. At that point I realized that I had to try it. Not long after I found myself the proud owner of a new dutch oven and scheduled a camping trip just to try it.

I have used mine with charcaol and with coals from the fire. The best things that I have cooked are desserts. Take a cake mix, put it in the oven, add fruit pie filling and cook (don't stir it up)... YUMMY!!! :unsure:

If you are using one or more; what are you cooking in it? And are you using charcoal or hot coals from the fire?

#2 Oregon Pastor

Oregon Pastor

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:My heroes are<br />My Grandfather, Chuck Smith, Rick Warren, Dave Childers (My first youth Pastor), Craig Flinn (Another of my youth pastors), John Baker (Founder of Celebrate Recovery)<br /><br />My favorite bands are<br />Undercover, The 77's, Day of Fire, The Echoing Green, The Kry, The Orange County Supertones.<br /><br />My favorite race car drivers<br />Bobby Labonte, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, Kyle Petty, Terry Borchelor (Sports car racer), and Juan Pablo Montoya<br /><br />Favorite foods -- Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Scottish Fish and Chips, Pizza, and American Bar-B-Q<br /><br />Favorite Soft drinks -- Diet Rockstar, Pepsi Jazz and Irn-Bru (Scottish)

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

Years ago while surfing the net I stumbled on to people using dutch ovens while camping. At that point I realized that I had to try it. Not long after I found myself the proud owner of a new dutch oven and scheduled a camping trip just to try it.

I have used mine with charcaol and with coals from the fire. The best things that I have cooked are desserts. Take a cake mix, put it in the oven, add fruit pie filling and cook (don't stir it up)... YUMMY!!! :unsure:

If you are using one or more; what are you cooking in it? And are you using charcoal or hot coals from the fire?

When I thought of dutch oven, I thought of stew with dumplings, but more importantly Pineapple upside down cake!

OP

#3 redbear

redbear

Spike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:49 PM

my wife loves to dutch oven cook when we go camping. We have three sizes and use charcoal. Most of her recipes have specific numbers of briquets for top and bottom. I don't know much about the recipes, she is usually doing that while the boys and I are off fishing and hiking. I do know there are some pretty fine eating with some peaches and some sort of cake stuff.

#4 alex williams

alex williams

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • Interests:I am one God chose...just don't know for what yet.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:54 AM

Brothers...My dad is a dutch oven man!!!! He has cooked stews and others but his favorite is the stawberry cobbler!!!! it's awesome...I dont have one but may be gettin one.....His recipes are the same as redbear's...specific # of brickets on the top and bottom...again...like many things...dutch oven cooking is a thing of our past and many folks of today have not a clue of what a dutch oven is...much less a cast iron frying pan...that's the best thing in the world to cook in...expecialy corn bread!!!!!
Alex Williams

Job 14:15 "You will call, and I will answer You;

#5 Mr.Randy

Mr.Randy

8 Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:The Lord #1 Camping, Hunting and Fishing<br />anything in Gods Country is for me...

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

Interesting subject " Cast Iron"

I have my grandmothers whole set.
My grandmother today if alive would be well over 100.
Every time I fry chicken, thats what I use is her 12" skillett.
That aint all I cook in it though.

They are blacker than black LOL.
She passed in 1958, and then Mother got them
and I can remember all the meals Momma fixed in those skillittes.

Now Momma has gone to be with the Lord (2000) and I have them.

I dont use anything else. there are a 12" skillett a 10" and a 8"
the 8" is what I make my corn bread in...

Also have a dutch oven I use to make some fantastic chilli with.
Never have used them in the Outdoors (these anyway)
but I baught some others I use them outdoors.

If these Skilletts could talk, What memories they have from my Grandmother
to Mother, and now to me.
Momma was born in 1921 so Grandmaw had to have these way before that Im sure,
as momma was the thrid child .

Any time Im at a yard sale, for some strange reason
I always look for Cast Iron skilletts and the like :) .

Randy
Disabled Outdoorsman
www.brokenwingoutdoors.com and Forum
NWTF.org "WheelinSportsmen" Central FL. Team Leader
Williams Custom Calls
Pro - Staff Team

#6 Gunnin' for Fun

Gunnin' for Fun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:camping, hunting, camping, fishing, camping, shooting, camping, prairie doggin' and camping

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

I have been dutch oven cooking for over 12 years.  You should see the fellow campers stop to look at what I am doing when I cook.  I own three and my neighbor has 3.  I had two stacks of three high last July at our church family camp.  I baked eggs in 2 ovens and hash browns in 4 ovens.  I made dutch oven tables out of plow discs.  They are great for keeping a dutch out of the snow while cooking and saving our back.

I also have my parents cast iron and my wife's grandparents cast iron.  I am a cast iron freak.   ;)   I have a couple of Teflon skillets but they rarely get used.  I have 4 skillets, three griddles, waffle iron on a charcoal ring and a corn bread mold pan.
God, gear, guns and the Great Outdoors. What more does a man nead!
www.hhreloading.com

#7 Oregon Pastor

Oregon Pastor

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:My heroes are<br />My Grandfather, Chuck Smith, Rick Warren, Dave Childers (My first youth Pastor), Craig Flinn (Another of my youth pastors), John Baker (Founder of Celebrate Recovery)<br /><br />My favorite bands are<br />Undercover, The 77's, Day of Fire, The Echoing Green, The Kry, The Orange County Supertones.<br /><br />My favorite race car drivers<br />Bobby Labonte, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, Kyle Petty, Terry Borchelor (Sports car racer), and Juan Pablo Montoya<br /><br />Favorite foods -- Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Scottish Fish and Chips, Pizza, and American Bar-B-Q<br /><br />Favorite Soft drinks -- Diet Rockstar, Pepsi Jazz and Irn-Bru (Scottish)

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

I want to get one before our church camp out this summer. I think that they are terrific way to cook. We truck camp, so it is not a problem for us.

OP

#8 Mr.Randy

Mr.Randy

8 Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:The Lord #1 Camping, Hunting and Fishing<br />anything in Gods Country is for me...

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

Hello gunnin for fun,

They are a good conversation at camp outs and
just plain great to cook with truthfuly to me

Aint Nuttin Better  :o  
Guess you could call me a cast Iron freak too LOL   ;)
after ya call me a Jesus Freak    :)

Randy
Disabled Outdoorsman
www.brokenwingoutdoors.com and Forum
NWTF.org "WheelinSportsmen" Central FL. Team Leader
Williams Custom Calls
Pro - Staff Team

#9 Coonhound

Coonhound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

My wife is a master at dutch oven cooking, that is her favorite part of the camping trips, lucky me.

Here is a list of the things I can remember...

- Chicken and Rice
- Beef or Pork pot roast
- Lasagna
- Pizza
- Misc soups
- Bread
- Bisquets
- Cherry pie
- Cherry, Peach, apple cobblers (she makes the Cake mix type and scratch types)
- Pinapple upside down cake

There are many more but my memory fails me.

She uses briquets for heat and often times will have 2 or 3 stacked up to make the complete meal.

Gotta go I'm gettin hungry.

I am truly blessed with my wife.

Coon

#10 mont974x4

mont974x4

Life Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Interests:Bible study
    Camping and hunting
    my sons
    my bride

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

I need some good recipes with the briquette info.

Any websites?
"Whenever any form of government is destructive of these ends [life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness] it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government in such form as to them shall seem most likely to affect their safety and happiness.” Declaration of Independence, 1776

"If sinners be damned at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one go there unwarned and unprayed for." Charles Spurgeon

#11 Big Griz

Big Griz

Button Buck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, and camping with family and friends

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

I need some good recipes with the briquette info.

Any websites?

It has been a while, but if anyone is still interested, here a some good sites that have recipes I have used with success:

Byron's Dutch Oven Recipes

justdutchovenrecipes.com

Big Griz

www.royalrangers.ag.org

www.callersforchrist.com

#12 Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Interests:Bass player, vocalist, Part time worship leader and sometimes guitar player. Bowhunter and fly fisherman

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

I do a breakfast in mine that is simple but, when added to mountain air, is just awesome! Just take a pound of bacon, cut it up into bite size pieces and fry it up in your dutch oven, drain the grease, add a bag of O'brien potatoes and about at dozen scrambled eggs and bake it up. When it's almost finished add a couple of handfuls of shreaded cheddar. It eats REAL good!

Oh, and I use charcoal...

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. 1 Cor 10:13

#13 Big Griz

Big Griz

Button Buck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

I've done basically the same thing and you are right, it is really good! I also like to add peppers and onions while I'm browning the bacon just to give it a little extra kick. Sometimes I'll use cubed ham instead of or in addition to the bacon

That's what I like about a lot of these recipes. You can add or subtract an extra ingredient here or there to give a little variety.

Big Griz

www.royalrangers.ag.org

www.callersforchrist.com

#14 Ziggy Trek

Ziggy Trek

Button Buck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Backpacking, Studying Nature, Introducing Kids to Nature, survival skills, gardening, making my own gear, etc...

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

I do a breakfast in mine that is simple but, when added to mountain air, is just awesome! Just take a pound of bacon, cut it up into bite size pieces and fry it up in your dutch oven, drain the grease, add a bag of O'brien potatoes and about at dozen scrambled eggs and bake it up. When it's almost finished add a couple of handfuls of shreaded cheddar. It eats REAL good!

Oh, and I use charcoal...

Ok that did it. Now I'm gonna have to get a dutch oven! Been trying to coax the family out camping. That should feed the whole brood (counting grandkids).

I saw that they sell liners as well. Do you recommend the liners for some recipes?
"I drank the silence of God from a spring in the woods." -- Georg Trakl
Visit my new site, NATURE CONNECTIONS, and help make it better

#15 Big Griz

Big Griz

Button Buck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

I saw that they sell liners as well. Do you recommend the liners for some recipes?

A friend and I have been having a discussion over the use of liners. He likes to use the liners for the ease of clean-up and the ability to serve out of a liner. On the other hand, I am somewhat old school in this and have told him that a properly seasoned and maintained oven is very easy to clean and will keep the food warm while it is being served.

I think both points are valid. If you do not use the liners, you have to take the time to properly clean the oven which is easy as long as it is seasoned, but it does take time. On the other hand, simply pulling out a liner and throwing it away is faster. Please keep in mind that a part of the seasoning process is the continued use and cleaning of an oven, so if you always use the liners, it will never be properly seasoned.

IMO, part of cooking in a dutch oven is the ability to serve and keep the food warm regardless of the climate conditions. If you are in a winter camp, the oven will keep the food warm for much longer than a liner will. There is also something cool about serving out of a dutch oven while on a campout that is missing with a liner. Granted, you can leave the liner in the oven and serve it that way, but chances are that a little bit will get spilled or dripped and you will end up having to clean the oven anyways.

I hope this helps a little bit. I really didn’t mean to go on for so long…..

Big Griz

www.royalrangers.ag.org

www.callersforchrist.com

#16 Country

Country

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

Hello guys,
This is an excellent Dutch Oven site.

http://www.lsdos.com Lone Star Dutch Oven Society

Dutch Oven is also Texas Official cooking implement. There is a link on the bottom right for this info too.

Go to the "Merchandise" link after you ENTER for a cookbook

"A Texas Treasury of Dutch Oven Cooking".

Competition Recipes of the Lone Star Dutch Oven Society. This 232 page cookbook is comb bound with a laminated cover. The recipes were compiled from the 1995 and 1996 Cookoff seasons and are competition tested. Many of the recipes contain the history behind the recipe. This history information makes the book a unique and rich Texas Treasure. The overview includes a number of hints and tips on buying and seasoning an oven, "the Dinwiddie method of Charcoal Briquet Use", temperature control, and other interesting tidbits of information. This book is truly a must have for all Dutch Oven cooks.

Cost: $18.50 ($15.00 plus $3.50 S&H)

Enjoy,
don

#17 WildernessWillie

WildernessWillie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:06 AM

I have a Dutch Oven and love it. Cook with it a lot. At home and while camping

#18 carphunter

carphunter

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, making fishing tackle, collecting vintage fishing tackle and general outdoors stuff.

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

Have you ever come accross the blogsite "the fly fishin' Christian"?
He's into dutch ovens and coffee grinders as well as fishing.
It's a fun blog to read, with an eclectic mix of fly fishing, family, cooking, faith and random stuff.
God bless,
Jon

#19 Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Interests:Bass player, vocalist, Part time worship leader and sometimes guitar player. Bowhunter and fly fisherman

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:46 PM

I'll have to check that one out....

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. 1 Cor 10:13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 Christian Outdoorsman