IPBoard Styles©Fisana

Photo

What is a cheap archery target and can you make one yourself?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Oregon Pastor

Oregon Pastor

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:My heroes are<br />My Grandfather, Chuck Smith, Rick Warren, Dave Childers (My first youth Pastor), Craig Flinn (Another of my youth pastors), John Baker (Founder of Celebrate Recovery)<br /><br />My favorite bands are<br />Undercover, The 77's, Day of Fire, The Echoing Green, The Kry, The Orange County Supertones.<br /><br />My favorite race car drivers<br />Bobby Labonte, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, Kyle Petty, Terry Borchelor (Sports car racer), and Juan Pablo Montoya<br /><br />Favorite foods -- Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Scottish Fish and Chips, Pizza, and American Bar-B-Q<br /><br />Favorite Soft drinks -- Diet Rockstar, Pepsi Jazz and Irn-Bru (Scottish)

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

I need an archery target to shoot with my son. I had a cardboard box that we would shoot paper targets on with a pellet gun. The problem I found was shooting arrows with it, was that it was on the ground. The arrows that missed ended up being shot into the mud nearly up to the feathers. Hmmm. I think that there is probably a reason why a lot of archery targets are up.

Pretty poor at the moment, so I can't go out and buy even a 60 dollar target. Your suggestions?

OP

#2 alex williams

alex williams

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  • Interests:I am one God chose...just don't know for what yet.

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

Old bed sheets...towels, any old clothing...or rags...you can fold, stuff and bind them with clear plastic wrap...it works even better when you stuff them in a burlap or woven feed sack.
Alex Williams

Job 14:15 "You will call, and I will answer You;

#3 Mr.Randy

Mr.Randy

8 Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:The Lord #1 Camping, Hunting and Fishing<br />anything in Gods Country is for me...

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:20 PM

OP, Just a suggestion but try a couple of bails of Hay or straw.
Stand them up leingth way.
There aprox. 3 ft. tall. and will last awhile if you will bring them
out of the rain and such. Down here there about $4.00 each.

Randy :D
Disabled Outdoorsman
www.brokenwingoutdoors.com and Forum
NWTF.org "WheelinSportsmen" Central FL. Team Leader
Williams Custom Calls
Pro - Staff Team

#4 Oregon Pastor

Oregon Pastor

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Interests:My heroes are<br />My Grandfather, Chuck Smith, Rick Warren, Dave Childers (My first youth Pastor), Craig Flinn (Another of my youth pastors), John Baker (Founder of Celebrate Recovery)<br /><br />My favorite bands are<br />Undercover, The 77's, Day of Fire, The Echoing Green, The Kry, The Orange County Supertones.<br /><br />My favorite race car drivers<br />Bobby Labonte, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, Kyle Petty, Terry Borchelor (Sports car racer), and Juan Pablo Montoya<br /><br />Favorite foods -- Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Scottish Fish and Chips, Pizza, and American Bar-B-Q<br /><br />Favorite Soft drinks -- Diet Rockstar, Pepsi Jazz and Irn-Bru (Scottish)

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

OP, Just a suggestion but try a couple of bails of Hay or straw.
Stand them up leingth way.
There aprox. 3 ft. tall. and will last awhile if you will bring them
out of the rain and such. Down here there about $4.00 each.
Randy :D

I have thought about haybales. The only problem is that I shoot on public property, I don't have any place in my yard that I can do archery. I don't own a pick up truck either, so moving the bales of hay ever time that I want to go out and shoot would be difficult.

OP

#5 alex williams

alex williams

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:13 PM

I know your getting this set up for you and your son...so the main thing is the target but....dont forget the back drop...(everything behind the target)...make sure you have something behind the target to stop any arrows that miss the actual target...check this out....

My wife, Donna, works for a heating and air co. in Augusta Ga...the other day she got a phone call from some one wanting them to come out and look at their neighbor's ac unit...so...Donna asked the typical questions...What's wrong with it? Is it making any kind of noises? ect. ect....well. the guys answer was all but a classic...he said he was pretty sure it was dead..seems he shot their unit with an arrow...yep...he was practicing in his back yard and missed the target and hit his neighbor's unit...the unit was a Trane which has a totaly aluminum coil...in other words...there aint NO fixin' it...that one arrow cost this fella just over $1600!!!! but lucky for him...Donna asked him if his nieghbor's insurance would cover it...well...it did not...BUT his home owner's insurance did...all of it...100%...so this fella was very fortunate...he and Donna talked on the phone two or three times that day...with him ending the last conversation (after he found out his wife was not going to kill him and that the ins. co. was going to cover it) with, "Wonder if my wife will let me get it mounted?"...LOL..
Alex Williams

#6 Oregon Pastor

Oregon Pastor

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:05 PM

I know your getting this set up for you and your son...so the main thing is the target but....dont forget the back drop...(everything behind the target)...make sure you have something behind the target to stop any arrows that miss the actual target...check this out....

My wife, Donna, works for a heating and air co. in Augusta Ga...the other day she got a phone call from some one wanting them to come out and look at their neighbor's ac unit...so...Donna asked the typical questions...What's wrong with it? Is it making any kind of noises? ect. ect....well. the guys answer was all but a classic...he said he was pretty sure it was dead..seems he shot their unit with an arrow...yep...he was practicing in his back yard and missed the target and hit his neighbor's unit...the unit was a Trane which has a totaly aluminum coil...in other words...there aint NO fixin' it...that one arrow cost this fella just over $1600!!!! but lucky for him...Donna asked him if his nieghbor's insurance would cover it...well...it did not...BUT his home owner's insurance did...all of it...100%...so this fella was very fortunate...he and Donna talked on the phone two or three times that day...with him ending the last conversation (after he found out his wife was not going to kill him and that the ins. co. was going to cover it) with, "Wonder if my wife will let me get it mounted?"...LOL..

Thats hilarious!

Where we go and shoot out on ODOT property, there are some big berms and I use those as the back drop.

The only problem was that soil must be about 90% clay. Graham wanted to go right after we got the set, and it had rained and snowed. We shot for a while, but we ended up with about three pounds of weeds and mud stuck to each of our shoes! So I have a permanent back drop, it is the ground in front of the backdrop that I have a problem with! :D

OP

#7 firewhatfire

firewhatfire

8 Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

A local CO-OP or feed store will have burlap bags or feed bags. If there is a clothing manufacturer or something along that lines ask for scrap. We have a place that makes waist bands for underwear, that is whatI use for alot of my targets. Go to a secoond hand store and buy him all of the nerf soccer balls and footballs you can find. Throw those around and shoot in every direction. Loads of fun

Phil

#8 Oregon Pastor

Oregon Pastor

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:03 PM

A local CO-OP or feed store will have burlap bags or feed bags. If there is a clothing manufacturer or something along that lines ask for scrap. We have a place that makes waist bands for underwear, that is whatI use for alot of my targets. Go to a secoond hand store and buy him all of the nerf soccer balls and footballs you can find. Throw those around and shoot in every direction. Loads of fun

Phil

Thank sounds like fun!

OP

#9 alex williams

alex williams

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:35 PM

yep it is and it helps build a memory for yardage and the ability to shoot different ranges and angles.
Alex Williams

#10 chester12

chester12

Spike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Hog Hunting, CTO, Knives

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

This is what I use, http://www.basspro.c...arTarget=browse
Pretty cheap and so far it has help up(about 3 months) and it will last a lot longer, I have not had an arrow past through it. The only thing that I would be concerned with is shooting broadheads into it. Not sure how long it would hold up to that.

yep it is and it helps build a memory for yardage and the ability to shoot different ranges and angles.

That sounds like fun, just have to have a place to do that to make sure that when you miss that you won't hit anything.
Ask me about CTO.

www.teamCTO.org

#11 cmb68

cmb68

Spike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

i built my target out of cardboard. i cut the cardboard 6 inches thick by about 3 feet wide and stacked it 3 feet tall. i then sandwiched the stack between two pieces of wood(i used 1 x 6's, 2 x 4's would probably work better) and strapped it together with two cheap ratchet straps(on the edges). if your arrows seem to go too far thru, just tighten down on the ratchet straps untill they are tight enough to hold the arrows. don't get it to tight though, the arrows will get hard to pull out.
MAY THE PEACE OF CHRIST BE WITH YOU.

#12 Titaniumman

Titaniumman

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Interests:Bass player, vocalist, Part time worship leader and sometimes guitar player. Bowhunter and fly fisherman

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

Depends on what your shooting at it. If your using traditional gear, recurve or longbow, get a burlap bag (I get them from a local coffee roaster) and stuff it as full of plastic grocery sacks as you can get it. The industrial plastic wrap used in packing pallets works great if you can get it. I've shot at this type of target with tradtional gear for several years. It makes for a lightweight target you can pack around too. My last one cost me less than five bucks. Modern compound bows will smoke it though, so beware.

No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. 1 Cor 10:13

#13 shocknawh

shocknawh

Non-Typical

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing, 4-wheelers, trucks, playing with my kids, just being outdoors in general, and having a relationship with christ! It's hard to enjoy all of my hobbies because of the hours I work. So I get out when I can.I am a big fan of breathing fresh air and just being outdoors!

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:35 PM

before deer season and during, Wal-mart, gander mtn etc. have cheap bag targets and foam targets that'll do for the money they don't last as long, but do work. But I'll tell you this, when you can save ur money, get a fairly good one I bought a generic block from wal-mart and it does fine, i bought the bag target from them a couple years ago and i got my money's worth I think it was $20 bucks
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves
matthew 10:16

Please check out my blog...
An Amazing Crazy Life http://theamazingcrazy.blogspot.com/

#14 JB Erdmann

JB Erdmann

Spike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Christian fellowship in Bowhunting, fishing and all around general outdoors.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

Several easy targets you can make....

#1 check with your local carpet and tile store. Many times the carpet stores remove the old foam padding under the carpets. These folded over make great bales that the stopping power is repeatable. I have 3 of these that have lasted me many years.

#2 The other type you can create by using a couple of very long threaded rods that have matching nuts for both ends. You take layered cardboard cut to fit across a pallet from your local grocery store or warehouse. Stack 3 feet high then use a 2x4 with holes drilled in both ends for your threaded rods to fit through. Now use a box end wrench to tighten both sides to get compression as tight as you possibly can stand it.

#3 Burlap bags (about .99 cents at local Ranch and Home Supply) stuffed with loose carpet foam or heavy shipping plastic then zip tie the open end. I have several burlap rice bags made up this way with heart lung area marked on them to represent a bedded deer. You can also put eyelets at both corners to hang like a store bought archery bag target.

These targets are ment only for field tips and not broadhead practice.

Please Support Your State Archery & Bowhunting Clubs
WWFBD.... What would Fred Bear Do?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Copyright © 2014 Christian Outdoorsman